About to become a parent, or recently welcomed a newborn? Mumsnetters and Mumsnet vloggers who've been there, done that, and washed the T-shirt share advice on looking after your baby, and yourself. See their top tips for ditching the guilt and embracing the chaos that comes with new parenthood
1. Remember: you're the expert“Don't be afraid to ask for advice – but also don't be afraid to ignore that advice, and go with your instincts. Do what you feel comfortable with.”
2. Comparisons are not your friend“Try not to Google things or compare your child to others. Remember that every child is different.”
3. Help isn't that kind of four letter word
“If somebody offers to cook for you, let them. It takes one job away from you. If somebody offers to clean, put your pride to the side and let them clean your house.”“If others offer, let them help. If they don't offer, then don't be scared to ask for it.”
4. Know that this too shall pass“Almost everything is a phase, and things change all the time. Not sleeping more than four hours, hating the bath, throwing food all over the house? This will pass.”
5. Sometimes babies just cry, and there ain't nothing you can do about it
“Comfort them, rock them, sing calmly – but don't feel you have to stop it. Sometimes we feel like we have to fix everything, and it's an awful amount of pressure.”“If everything is OK with your baby and they're still wailing, it may be that they just need to cry (don't we all, sometimes).